11 Must-Have Essentials for Working On-The-Go
Work doesn’t stop when you walk out the office door and with the freedom of the internet you can work almost anywhere. This checklist is proven to keep you organised when working on-the-go.
Are you like half of Australia’s workforce who love the freedom of not being tied to a desk or even the office? A study by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) found that 5.6 million Aussie adults are using the internet to skip the office and work remotely. Now your workplace can be wherever you are thanks to the internet, but you still need to be properly equipped to get your work done. Here’s the must-have essentials you need to stay organised, flexible and professional when working on-the-go:
1. TabletPortability is the key to working remotely and you’ll find a tablet is significantly easier to carry around than a laptop. You may feel like you can’t live without your laptop, but depending on the type of work you’re doing and how much you travel, you may be better off with just a tablet. Your Apple iPad Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro or Samsung tablet is lighter and likely to be faster than a laptop, and it won’t chew through power like your laptop. With Google Docs and most of your favourite software now residing in the cloud, a tablet is really all you need when you’re away from your desktop computer.
2. Tablet KeyboardTablet keyboards make typing much easier and more accurate than typing on a virtual keypad. Choosing one with a Bluetooth connection will reduce the cabling you need.
3. SmartphoneWhile you could use a variety of apps on your tablet to make calls, it’s simply easier with your phone when you’re on-the-go. Like most people you probably have your whole life on your smartphone and carry it with you everywhere anyway.
4. Charging CablesYour tech is useless without power and Murphy’s Law dictates that you’ll run out of charge while running around. A charging cable takes up little space and can be a lifesaver!
5. Power BankAnother way to avoid the frustration of a dead battery on your tablet or smartphone is by carrying a power bank with you. Having a power bank means you can recharge without access to a power point or car charger, wherever you are.
6. HeadphonesIf you’re travelling or working in a café, it’s comforting to have your favourite music to listen to and tune out the world. Headphones are also great for a bit more privacy and freedom while on the phone, and are essential for a good Netflix binge in the airport departure lounge, hotel lobby or in the back of an Uber.
7. USB Flash DriveSo you can’t use this with your tablet, but it’s a handy way to transport secure documents, and especially useful when you’re working on public computers or hot desking. A flash drive also means that your important presentation is with you rather than at the mercy of an internet connection.
8. Business CardsSome may think they’re old school but a business card legitimises you and your business and should be carried at all times. When you’re working on-the-go you will be meeting people and making connections, even when you least expect it, so you need to have a business card at the ready.
9. Notepad and PenPen and paper is still a convenient way to jot down notes and ideas or to sketch out plans. There’s also plenty of evidence to show the benefits of writing over typing from memory enhancement to idea generation. It can even be a relaxing way to wind down and unplug by doodling or journaling.
10. Document StorageYou may have received someone’s business card or flyer, a proposal or report, and need somewhere to keep it safe, dry and uncrumpled.
11. Carry CaseAnd of course you need something that is compact, portable and professional to keep all your on-the-go essentials together. Try the MODENA® Recharge range of compendiums with built-in power bank. You can keep everything you need in one handy place and not have to worry about finding a power point to charge your devices. They’re available in 4 convenient sizes and styles to suit your needs, including a handy Zipper Compendium, Refillable Journal, Travel Wallet and Accessory Case.