6 Simple Steps to Cut Costs by Creating a Green Workplace
It’s easy to save money and the planet by becoming environmentally-friendly and converting your office into a green workplace.
You don’t need to be some sort of tree-hugging environmental activist to care about the planet you live on. And you don’t have to go to great lengths to make a difference. By doing a few simple things at work you can make a huge impact on the environment, which will make you feel better for doing the right thing, help you meet compliance for government accreditation, and reduce your business expenses.
1. Cut Energy UseReducing power consumption is a popular way to help the environment because it has the added advantage of also saving you money. Energy efficient lighting provides long-term savings in both energy and dollars, which can be boosted by simply turning lights off when leaving a room. Lighting isn’t the only way to cut energy use. All electronic devices are power guzzlers and should be turned off or switched to sleep mode when not in use, especially overnight. The screensaver on your computer doesn’t reduce your energy consumption, so ditch it for an energy saving mode and cut energy usage by as much as 70%. Air-con is another one to watch out for, typically accounting for 25-50% of your office energy consumption. Setting temperatures to provide optimal comfort depending on the season will lower your consumption and costs, and help you comply with OHS recommendations.
2. RecycleBy using a recycling waste disposal contractor your business could be saving money. And it’s not only paper and plastic that can be recycled. Empty ink and toner cartridges; broken or obsolete computers, printers and mobile phones; even fridges and microwaves, can all skip the landfill and be recycled. Australian e-waste companies offer free services to dispose of these items for responsible recycling, breaking down electronics to recover valuable materials for new products. By keeping them out of landfill you won’t be paying for them to be disposed of and you’ll be protecting the environment from hazardous materials. Look out for Cartridges 4 Planet Ark collection boxes in store.
3. Buy GreenChoosing eco-friendly products for your business has never been easier or more economical. One of the biggest objections to purchasing green products has been price, however both price and quality have improved significantly, generating a higher demand. There is now a wide variety of affordable biodegradable, recycled, energy efficient, sustainable and environmentally-friendly products to choose from. These include office furniture, desk accessories, electronics, cleaning products, food and paper. Investing in real crockery, glassware and utensils for your workplace kitchen is another way to help the environment by reducing waste, and it will save money long-term and make your business appear more professional.
4. Buy in BulkOrdering in bulk will not only minimise packaging and the waste it creates, it will also reduce how often you order, making your life easier and cutting down on carbon emissions from the transportation of your order. And you’ll enjoy great savings by buying in bulk.
5. PrintingGiving up printing altogether isn’t an option for most businesses, but we can make better choices to reduce our impact on the environment and create a green workplace. With print technology constantly advancing, upgrading to a newer model means being more energy efficient and producing less emissions while also saving money. You can keep energy use down further by choosing a multifunction printer rather than plugging in 2 or more additional machines. New printers are more likely to come equipped with a duplexing mode allowing you to print double-sided to save on paper usage, and can either come with or be fitted with a spare paper drawer that you could keep scrap paper in for draft and internal printing.
6. PlantsGet literal in the greening of your workplace by adding or increasing the number of plants. Research by University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) shows that indoor plants work miracles from decreasing illness and absenteeism, to raising performance and productivity. Since payroll is generally the biggest expense to any business, keeping staff healthy, in the office and working well will optimise profitability. By bringing the outdoors in and placing a few plants in elegant planter boxes throughout the office you will naturally purify the air, helping you and the planet to breathe better.
By going green at work you’ll have a huge impact on the environment and slash costs, making your business more responsible and more profitable.
Green AccreditationMany environmentally-friendly products are backed by national and international accreditation. Learn more about these certifications here: